Tuesday, July 15, 2008

July 14, 2008

Today was another interesting day at Shad Valley Carleton. By now I have grown accustomed to the lack of sleep here, despite the fact that I strive to go bed as early as possible!

My house presented Shad News this morning using the theme of Dora the Explorer. Naturally, hilarity ensued and the audience reacted positively. Next, Darren Fernandez, a social communications expert, gave us an interesting talk on facebook and social networking. For balance, we followed this activity with Ultimate Frisbee.

After lunch, I had the opportunity to visit Carleton’s metalworking shop and woodworking shop for our DE project. My team members and I had developed rough sketches and product ideas already, but advice and tips from professionals really broadened our perspectives and gave us new options to explore. We were introduced to new materials, assembly methods, and needs to address with our product. Before leaving, I helped make a rough prototype with hinges and foam board.

To round off the afternoon, there was a lecture on charities and social justice. Right after dinner, our house team went directly to a DE project review. Fortunately, the panel’s comments were mostly constructive and we were able to continue with refreshed minds on our project. Later in the evening we had late night, which was hosted by the Red House. With the theme of “Fiesta Night,” everyone came in their as-close-to-Mexican-as-possible clothes.

After a really packed day, I feel like falling unconscious on my bed until morning. As a member of the cultural night committee, I still have to put the finishing touches on tomorrow evening’s global show.

John Yao
Shad Valley Carleton
Hometown: Toronto, Ontario