Tuesday, July 8, 2008

June 29, 2008

It was very cold when I got out of bed this morning. The kind of cold that can chill you to your very bones. But yet, I did not feel a thing. My heart was pounding, my palms sweaty, and I had not even two hours of sleep. All of this due to the fact that today was the day that I was to depart for Shad Valley. I would spend the next month of my life at Dalhousie University in Halifax, with 49 other complete strangers who just like me, hadn't gotten much sleep the night before.
I arrived in Halifax International Airport early Sunday morning, and was quickly greeted by two individuals in blazing orange t shirts that helped me a few other tongue-tied travelers find our cabs. The cab driver was a Newfoundlander and therefore he was automatically an entertaining and charming fellow. It's a gift we are all blessed with from the Rock.
Upon arriving at Dalhousie University I was immediately awestruck by it's sure grandeur and beauty. It oozes with history and it's stone walls seem to tell stories of another time. I was and continue to be impressed by the beautiful architecture. We had arrived at our destination finally.
There never seemed to be any uncomfortable tension between myself and the few others that arrived early this morning. We quickly became fast friends and the laughs came in bunches very soon after we settled in. We then went on to play a great game of Frisbee inside of a dorm room, take an adventure to find a Subway only to realize none of us were hungry, and play a game of pickup basketball. We had a few hours to spare while waiting for the others to arrive and it allowed for some shenanigans and it allowed for some great groundwork for future friendships to be set.
The night concluded with the arrival of the rest of the Shad crew, a few icebreakers, and of course more laughs. The day might not of been a typical day of a Shad, but what I believe I may come to realize is that no day during Shad Valley is typical and that includes the first day. I have made a few friendships, and I know that more are to come in the near future. I'm not sure what to expect in the coming days. But I wouldn't have it any other way.

Mike Rolfe
Shad Valley Dalhousie

Hometown: Springdale, Newfoundland